Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Generation X or Y

Alright folks who says you can’t learn something from watching t.v.? I really like The Today Show but, even more than that I absolutely love the late hour with Kathie Lee and Hoda. They always talk about things that I find really interesting and give some great advice on finances, food, love life, fashion & make-up…4 out of those 5 topics I really LOVE!!!! Once, a week they do a segment called Guys tell all and I laugh my hiney off at the things these guys will say & how they will answer questions from women on the street. Really, if you haven’t checked it out you should tune in one day. This morning somehow and honestly I don’t remember how they got on the subject of generation X compared to generation Y.
Here is a break down between the two if you don’t know:
Generation X ranges from 1961 to 1981. (I am in this generation)
Generation Y ranges from 1982 to 1995

Generation X witnessed the inception of the home computer, the rise of videogames, cable television and the Internet as a tool for social and commercial purposes. (wow that makes me feel old)
Generation Y has witnessed the rise of instant communication technologies made possible through use of the internet, such as email, texting, and IM and new media used through websites like YouTube and social networking sites like Facebook. They have literally been on a computer since coming out of the womb!!

Here are a few more differences:
Preferred style of leadership
• X - only competent leaders will do
• Y - collaboration with management is expected
Value of Experience
• X - don't tell me where you have been, show me what you know
• Y - experience is irrelevant, as the world is changing so fast
Autonomy
• X - give them direction, and then leave them to it
• Y - questions, questions, questions
Feedback
• X - expect regular feedback
• Y - need constant and immediate feedback
Rewards
• X - freedom is the ultimate reward
• Y - money talks
Training
• X - want to continually learn, if they don't they will leave
• Y - still in an exam driven mentality
Work Hours
• X - do their work and go home
• Y - will work as long as needed ...or until they get bored
Work Life Balance
• X - they want to enjoy life to the full, while they are young enough to do so
• Y - their lives are busy - they need a lot of 'me' time
Loyalty
• X - they are committed as everyone else working there
• Y - already working out their exit strategy
Meaning of Money
• X - it gives freedom and independence
• Y - just something that allows them to maintain their lifestyle

Ok, with all this being said…and so out of the normal of my blogs. I think I need a husband that comes from the Y generation. I love how they are hard working and driven to make the best out of their life! If you know me you know I have always said “when I grow up I just want to be a wife and mom” well, if that generation is so hardworking and driven to make the most money my little dream might could happen. I do think both generations have their differences and are better at things in different areas but, I think a generation X and Y could be very compatible. Again, if you know me I need a generation Y hubby because they seem to be MUCH better in the technology department than mine & I need all the help in that area I can get!

XOXO,

No comments :

Post a Comment

Simple Prayers

Lord, I thank you for your beloved Son, for your unfailing love, and for Your wonderful thoughts. During my busy day, help me to remember all that You have done for me. Help me to follow Your Word and walk in purity of heart.